A decorative design, usually made of fabric, that is sewn or otherwise attached to a larger piece of fabric or clothing.
From the french appliquer, meaning "to apply" referring to the method of applying a decorative design to a surface by layering pieces of fabric onto it.
- The dress had a beautiful applique of flowers on the bodice.
- The quilt had a colorful applique of different patterns and shapes.
- The shirt had an applique of a cartoon character on the front.
- The applique was made of different colored pieces of felt.
- The jacket had an applique of a skull on the back.