- To choose or select someone for a job or position.
- To name or assign someone to a particular role or task.
- To schedule or arrange a meeting, event, or activity for a particular time or place.
Middle english: from old french apointer, from a- (from latin ad "to, at") + pointer "point, indicate".
- The company appointed him as the new CEO.
- He was appointed to the board of directors.
- She appointed a lawyer to represent her in court.
- The president appointed a new justice to the Supreme Court.
- I have an appointment with the dentist at 2pm.
Some random words: horticulturist, illustrious, monograph