- A unit of energy or heat, typically used to measure the energy content of food.
- A unit of heat energy that is equal to the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.
The word "calorie" was derived from the latin word "calor" meaning heat. it was first used in the late 19th century to describe a unit of heat energy.
- An apple contains about 95 calories.
- She burned off 200 calories during the run.
- The calorie content of the food was listed on the label.
- The calorie needs of an individual vary based on their activity level and body composition.
- The calorie count of the drink was high due to added sugar.