- A hymn or song of praise, especially one from the Bible or a religious service.
- A song of praise or adoration, often used in religious settings.
From middle english canticel, from latin canticulum, from cantus ("son.g")
- The Canticle of the Sun is a hymn of praise to God for the beauty and wonder of creation.
- The Canticle of Mary, also known as the Magnificat, is a song of praise spoken by Mary, the mother of Jesus, in the New Testament.
- The canticle was sung during the morning worship service.
- The canticle was a beautiful and powerful expression of faith.
- The canticle was used to open the religious ceremony.