- A deep, steep-sided valley, typically carved by a river or stream, and often with rocky walls.
- A narrow gorge or pass between mountains or hills.
The word "canyon" comes from the spanish word "cañon" which means a tube or pipe, it was first recorded in the english language in the early 19th century. it comes from the word "cañas" which means reed.
- The Grand Canyon is a famous example of a canyon.
- We hiked down into the canyon to see the waterfall.
- The canyon walls were towering and majestic.
- The river flowed through the canyon, carving its path.
- The view from the top of the canyon was breathtaking.