- The position or rank of a captain, especially in a military or naval context.
- The quality of being a captain, especially with regard to leadership and responsibility.
The word 'captaincy' is derived from the middle english word capteyn, which means 'head of a company of soldiers'.
- He was proud of his captaincy in the Navy, a position he had earned through hard work and dedication to his country.
- Her captaincy of the soccer team was marked by her excellent leadership skills, her ability to motivate her team and her tactical knowledge.
- The captaincy of the ship was passed from one experienced mariner to another, ensuring a smooth voyage for all.
- The captaincy of the school debate team was a position of great responsibility, requiring a strong command of the subject matter and the ability to lead others.
- Under his captaincy, the company's profits increased dramatically, and he was soon promoted to the position of CEO.