- A type of cancer that begins in the cells lining the surface of organs and tissues.
- A malignant and invasive tumour derived from epithelial cells, typically forming solid tumors.
Late 19th century: from greek karkinōma, from karkinos "crab" (because of the finger-like projections of some tumors).
- The patient was diagnosed with lung carcinoma.
- Breast carcinoma is the most common type of cancer in women.
- The biopsy confirmed the presence of a carcinoma in the liver.
- Prostate carcinoma is the most common type of cancer in men.
- Carcinomas can spread to other parts of the body through the bloodstream or lymphatic system.