Having the ability to catalyze or accelerate a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process.
From the greek word 'katalysios' meaning 'able to dissolve'.
- The catalytic converter was an important component in reducing harmful emissions from car engines.
- Catalytic reactions were widely used in industry, from refining petroleum to synthesizing drugs.
- The catalytic agent increased the reaction rate by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to proceed.
- Catalytic enzymes were found in all living organisms, playing important roles in metabolism and other biological processes.
- Catalytic materials were carefully selected for their specific properties, including stability, reactivity, and surface area.