- Serving as a warning or reminder of a potential danger, problem, or error.
- Providing a warning or advice against something.
From latin cautionem (nominative cautio) "a taking care, a taking heed".
- He gave a cautionary tale about the perils of drug use.
- The story serves as a cautionary tale about the dangers of greed.
- The article offers a cautionary note on the use of certain chemicals in food.
- The story is a cautionary reminder of the dangers of neglecting safety procedures.
- He is a cautionary example of how not to manage a business.