A large stringed instrument of the viol family, held vertically on the floor between the player's knees and played with a bow.
Mid 18th century: from italian violoncello, from violone "large viol".
- She began to play the cello when she was five.
- He was a virtuoso cellist and played in many orchestras.
- The cello"s rich, deep sound added depth to the quartet"s music.
- The concerto featured a solo cello accompanied by a chamber orchestra.
- The cello is considered one of the most expressive instruments of the string family.