- A piece of furniture with a back, designed to seat one person.
- A seat of authority or office.
- The person who presides over a meeting or organization.
Middle english, from old french chaiere, from latin cathedra, from greek kathedra seat, from kata down + hedra seat.
- She sat down in a comfortable chair.
- The chairman of the board made an announcement.
- He will serve as the chair of the committee.
- The chairs were arranged in a circle.
- The chair of the department will be stepping down at the end of the semester.