- A person who sings, especially a lead singer or a soloist.
- A pipe or reed that is played in some bagpipes and serves as the source of melody.
- A pipe or reed that is used as the sounding component of a musical instrument.
Late middle english: from old french chantre, from latin cantare "to sing".
- The chanter sang with a beautiful voice.
- The chanter on the bagpipe was making a beautiful melody.
- The chanter of the flute was playing a beautiful tune.
- The chanter's performance was very impressive.
- The chanter's voice was powerful and resonant.