- A person, usually an older person, who accompanies and supervises a young person, especially a woman, on social occasions.
- A person who acts as a guardian or companion to a young person.
Derived from the french word 'chaperon' meaning hood or cap, the term 'chaperon' has been in use since the 16th century.
- The young woman's mother acted as her chaperon for the ball.
- The chaperon accompanied the students on their school trip to the museum.
- The chaperon was responsible for making sure the young people at the dance behaved appropriately.
- The chaperon helped the young woman find her seat at the concert.
- The chaperon made sure the young men arrived safely at the hotel after the party.