- The state of being chaste, abstaining from sexual relations or activities.
- The quality of being pure and untouched, morally or physically.
- The state of being modest and respectable in behavior, manner, or appearance.
From the latin word castitas, meaning purity or cleanliness, from the verb castus, meaning pure or chaste.
- The nuns in the convent lived lives of chastity, dedicating themselves to religious devotion.
- Many people view virginity as a sign of chastity.
- She dressed modestly, preserving her chastity.
- He upheld his chastity by not engaging in any promiscuous behavior.
- The chastity of the young woman was highly valued in the traditional community.