- A driver of a private car or limousine, especially for a wealthy or important person.
- A person employed to drive a hired vehicle.
Derived from the french verb 'chauffer', meaning to heat, the term 'chauffeur' has been in use since the late 19th century.
- The chauffeur opened the door for the VIP.
- The chauffeur was dressed in a black suit and white gloves.
- The chauffeur drove the car smoothly through the city traffic.
- The chauffeur was hired to take the guests to the airport.
- The chauffeur was a skilled and experienced driver.