The position or rank of a chief or a leader in a group or community.
From chief + -ship, patterned after words such as friendship, leadership, etc.
- The chieftainship of the tribe was passed down from generation to generation.
- The old chieftainship traditions were losing their significance in the modern world.
- Many young people aspireated to the chieftainship, but only a few were deemed worthy of the honor.
- The chieftainship carried with it great responsibilities, but also great power and influence.
- The chieftainship was decided through a series of challenges and tests, both physical and mental.