- A colorless, sweet-smelling liquid used as a solvent and anesthetic.
- A chemical compound with the formula CHCl3, used as a solvent and anesthetic, but also a potential environmental pollutant.
The word "chloroform" is derived from its chemical structure, which is composed of chlorine and carbon atoms. it is first recorded in english in the 19th century.
- Chloroform was once used as an anesthetic during surgery.
- The use of chloroform as an anesthetic has been phased out due to its potential health risks.
- Chloroform is used to extract oils and fats from plants.
- Chloroform is a toxic substance, so it should be handled with care.
- Chloroform is a volatile organic compound that can contribute to air pollution.