- The surgical removal of the foreskin of the penis.
- The surgical removal of the prepuce of the clitoris or labia minora in female.
- The act or practice of circumcising, either as a religious rite or for medical or cultural reasons.
From latin circumcisio, from circumcidere ("to cut around"), from circum ("around") + caedere ("to cut"). the term circumcision was first used in the 16th century to refer to the surgical removal of the foreskin of the penis.
- He was scheduled to have a circumcision.
- Circumcision is a common practice in some cultures.
- The circumcision is performed as a religious rite.
- The baby boy was circumcised shortly after birth.
- The debate over circumcision continues, with some arguing for it for health reasons and others against it as a violation of human rights.