- To sail around (something).
- To travel around (something) completely.
- To go around something.
Late 16th century (in the sense "sail round"): from latin circumnavigat- "sailed round", from the verb circumnavigare, from circum "around" + navigare "to sail".
- The sailors circumnavigated the globe in a three-year journey.
- He decided to circumnavigate the island on foot.
- The first circumnavigation of Earth by a ship was completed by the voyage of Ferdinand Magellan in 1522.
- The expedition is attempting to be the first to circumnavigate the world in a solar-powered boat.
- She circumnavigated the city center to avoid the traffic.