- A tank or reservoir for storing water, especially one supplying a building with water.
- A large container for storing liquids, especially oil or wine.
Late middle english: from old french cisterne, from latin cisterna, from greek kistērnē, from kistein 'to store'.
- The village relies on the cistern for drinking water.
- A leak was discovered in the cistern, causing the water supply to run low.
- The cistern is used to store rainwater for irrigation.
- The cistern at the oil storage facility holds millions of gallons of crude oil.
- In ancient Rome, cisterns were used to store drinking water for public use.