- An organization that provides a central facility for clearing and settling financial transactions.
- A central place where information, data, or goods are collected and distributed.
Mid 19th century: from clear + house.
- The clearinghouse is responsible for settling trades between banks and financial institutions.
- The clearinghouse provided a centralized location for collecting and distributing emergency supplies.
- The clearinghouse was established to reduce the risk of fraudulent transactions.
- The clearinghouse operates as a neutral third party to ensure fair and efficient trade settlement.
- The clearinghouse is used by the government to track and manage data on wildlife populations.