An insect of the Dactylopius genus, which is used to produce a red dye, particularly the Dactylopius coccus species.
From the spanish word "cochinilla" meaning scale insect, it refers to an insect of the dactylopius genus, which is used to produce a red dye.
- Cochineal dye was used to color fabrics, food, and cosmetics.
- The cochineal insect is a small scale insect that feeds on cactus plants.
- Cochineal dye is a natural alternative to synthetic red dyes.
- The cochineal dye was extracted by crushing the insects.
- Cochineal dye was an important trade item in the pre-Columbian era.