- An amphitheater built in ancient Rome, used for contests, games, and spectacles.
- A large stadium or arena, especially one used for sports.
From latin, 'colosseum,' which was derived from 'colossaeus' meaning 'gigantic' or 'colossal,' and referred to the size of the colosseum in rome.
- The ancient Romans built the Coliseum for gladiatorial games.
- The Coliseum was one of the largest structures of its kind in the world.
- The Coliseum was used for a variety of events, including animal hunts and mock sea battles.
- The modern-day Coliseum in Los Angeles is home to the USC Trojans football team.
- Many people consider the Coliseum in Rome to be one of the greatest architectural achievements of the ancient world.