- Characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing.
- Characteristic of or appropriate to spoken language as opposed to writing.
Derived from the latin word "colloquium" meaning "a conversation".
- The colloquial language used in the novel made it relatable to the readers.
- His speech was full of colloquial expressions that made it difficult for non-native speakers to understand.
- The colloquialism made the text less formal and more approachable.
- The colloquial tone of the conversation made it more lively and engaging.
- Colloquial language is often considered less formal than literary language.