- Relating to a colony or colonies.
- Relating to or characteristic of a period of colonization.
- Having the characteristics of the architecture or design of the colonial period.
- Having the characteristics of the culture or society of a colonial period.
Late 16th century: from latin colonia "colony" + -al.
- The city has many colonial buildings from the 19th century.
- The colonial period was characterized by territorial expansion and the exploitation of resources.
- The colonial style of architecture was based on traditional forms and materials.
- The colonial society was divided into strict social classes and racial hierarchies.
- The colonial culture was influenced by European ideas and values.