- A person who establishes or helps to establish a colony.
- A person or group who takes control of a territory and governs it as a colony.
17th century: from french colonisateur, from coloniser "to colonize".
- The colonizers brought disease and enslavement to the native populations they encountered.
- The colonizers established a regime characterized by exploitation and oppression.
- Many colonizers saw themselves as bringing civilization to the territories they claimed.
- The anti-colonial movement sought to resist and defeat the colonizers and gain independence.
- The colonizers imposed their language, religion, and culture on the colonized territory and its people.