- A publisher's emblem, a logo, or imprint usually placed at the end of a book or magazine.
- A statement, usually placed at the end of a book, giving information about the publication of the book such as the place of publication, the publisher, and the date of publication.
- An inscription or emblem placed at the end of a manuscript to identify the scribe or publisher.
From the greek word 'kolophōn' meaning 'finishing touch, summing up'.
- The author's latest novel has a beautiful colophon on its final page.
- The museum catalogue's colophon mentions the year of publication and the names of the curators.
- The book's colophon stated that it was printed in limited edition by a small press.
- The colophon at the end of the manuscript provided valuable information about the time and place it was written.
- The ancient text was known for its intricate colophon, which was a symbol of its authenticity.