- A statue of colossal size and grandeur.
- A powerful and imposing person or entity.
- Something of great size and power.
Late 16th century: from latin, from greek kolossos "statue, colossus".
- The ancient colossus was one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- The businessman was known as a colossus in the industry.
- The colossus of the financial world controlled a large portion of the market.
- The colossus of the ancient world was renowned for its size and grandeur.
- The skyscraper was a colossus, towering over the city skyline.