- An expression of approval or admiration.
- A letter or statement written in support of someone or something.
Late middle english (in the sense "entrusting to the care of"): from old french commendacion, from latin commendatio(n-), from commendare "commit to the care of".
- The teacher gave a commendation to the student for her excellent work.
- He received a commendation from his commanding officer for his bravery in battle.
- The company received a commendation for its efforts to improve safety in the workplace.
- The committee gave a commendation to the city for its efforts to reduce pollution.
- The book received a commendation from the critics for its well-researched content.