To provide live spoken commentary, especially for a sporting or other event.
From the latin word commentari, meaning 'to write a commentary'.
- He was hired to commentate on the football game and provide analysis for the audience.
- The commentator was known for his insightful and witty comments during the game.
- She was asked to commentate on the figure skating competition and provide insight into the skaters' performances.
- The commentator's voice could be heard above the roar of the crowd, providing a play-by-play of the action.
- He was an experienced commentator who had covered many major sporting events over the years.