Sympathetic pity and sorrow for the misfortunes of others.
The word "commiseration" comes from the latin "com" meaning "together" and "miseratio" meaning "pity".
- His friends offered him commiseration after he lost his job.
- She offered commiseration to the victims of the disaster.
- Commiseration is a natural human emotion when someone is going through a difficult time.
- The employee's dismissal was met with commiseration from his colleagues.
- The soldier's death was met with commiseration from his comrades.