- A person appointed to oversee a particular function or area of public policy.
- An official of a government or administrative body who has the authority to make decisions or recommendations.
Late middle english: from old french commissiounaire, from medieval latin commissarius, from latin committere "commit".
- The commissioner of police was present at the crime scene.
- The commissioner was appointed to investigate the incident.
- The city commissioner is responsible for overseeing the department of parks and recreation.
- The commissioner was in charge of the commission investigating police misconduct.
- The commissioner announced that the commission had completed its work.