A tree or shrub that bears cones and has needle-like or scale-like evergreen leaves.
The word 'conifer' is derived from the latin word 'conus' meaning 'cone' and 'ferre' meaning 'to bear.
- Pine trees are a type of conifer.
- Conifers are found in many different climates, from temperate to subarctic.
- Conifers play an important role in the world's forests, providing habitat and resources for many species.
- The wood of conifers is often used for building and furniture making.
- The fragrant scent of conifer needles is often used in aromatherapy.