- A member or supporter of a political constituency.
- A component or element of a whole.
- A citizen of a particular constituency who is entitled to vote.
Late 16th century: from latin constituent- 'making firm, establishing', from the verb constituere, from con- 'together' + statuere 'set up'.
- The constituents of the senator were happy with her policies.
- The constituents of the alloy were carefully chosen for their properties.
- The constituents of the food were carefully chosen for their nutritional value.
- The constituents of the community were invited to the town hall meeting.
- The constituents of the paint were chosen for their durability and resistance to fading.