- A substance that makes something impure or unclean.
- A substance that pollutes the environment.
Mid 17th century: from latin contaminant- "polluting", from the verb contaminare, from con- "together with" + taminare "pollute".
- The water was found to contain high levels of contaminants.
- The soil was contaminated with hazardous waste.
- The air was filled with contaminants that can cause health problems.
- The factory was emitting contaminants into the atmosphere.
- The product was recalled due to the presence of contaminants.