- A person or thing that competes with others for a prize or a position.
- A person who is likely to win or succeed in a competition or struggle.
From the middle english contending, meaning "to contest, struggle", from the latin contendere, meaning "to strive, contest".
- He was a strong contender for the championship.
- The company was a serious contender in the market.
- The new product was a contender for the award.
- She was a top contender for the job.
- The team was a strong contender for the title.