- Relating to or characteristic of a continent.
- Of or relating to the main landmass of a continent, especially Europe.
- Of or relating to the mainland of a country as opposed to its islands.
Late middle english: from old french, from latin continentalis, from continens 'lying together', from con- 'together' + tenere 'to hold'.
- The continental United States excludes Alaska and Hawaii.
- The continental breakfast consisted of croissants and coffee.
- The continental climate was characterized by cold winters and warm summers.
- The continental shelf is a shallow, submarine platform that borders a continent.
- The continental divide separates rivers flowing to the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.