- The deliberate use of artificial methods or other techniques to prevent pregnancy as a consequence of sexual intercourse.
- Measures taken to prevent conception.
Early 20th century: from contra- "against" + conception.
- Contraception is an important aspect of family planning.
- The use of contraception has been shown to reduce maternal deaths.
- Contraception options include birth control pills, condoms, and IUDs.
- Many religious groups are opposed to the use of contraception.
- Effective contraception is critical to women's reproductive rights.