- The act or process of becoming smaller or shorter.
- A shortened form of a word or phrase, such as can't for cannot.
- A muscular tightening or shortening, as in childbirth.
From latin contractionem ('a shortening'), from contrahere ('to draw together'), from con ('with, together') + trahere ('to draw').
- The contraction of the balloon made it smaller and easier to carry.
- He used contractions like don't and won't in his writing.
- The woman screamed in pain during each contraction.
- The economy experienced a contraction due to the pandemic.
- I can't believe she's leaving tomorrow.