- To engage in sexual intercourse.
- To bring the reproductive organs of two individuals of opposite sexes into contact in order to fertilize the female's egg.
- To engage in sexual union.
The word "copulate" comes from the latin word "copulare" which means "to join together" or "to unite".
- The animals copulated in the wild.
- The couple copulated in the privacy of their own home.
- The plants copulated by means of pollination.
- The fish copulated by external fertilization.
- The insects copulated by means of a nuptial gift.