A person or thing that is unsophisticated, overly sentimental, or cliche.
Mid-20th century, american english, origin uncertain, possibly from the image of something as unsophisticated as a kernel of corn.
- The movie was criticized for being a cornball romance.
- The singer was accused of being a cornball for his overuse of patriotic themes in his songs.
- The comedian's jokes were considered cornball by the audience.
- The actor was criticized for his cornball performance in the play.
- The writer's story was considered a cornball by the critics.