- A brass musical instrument that is similar to a trumpet but has a slightly smaller and more conical bore, and a slightly more mellow tone.
- A brass instrument of the trumpet family, similar to but smaller than a trumpet and having a mellower tone.
From the latin word "cornus" meaning "horn" and the diminutive suffix "-et" meaning "small".
- He played the cornet in the school band.
- She was a professional cornet player and had performed in many orchestras.
- The cornet has a slightly smaller and more conical bore than a trumpet.
- The cornet has a mellower tone than a trumpet.
- The cornet is a brass instrument that is similar to a trumpet but smaller.