- A small, exclusive group of people with a common interest or purpose.
- A clique or inner circle of friends or associates.
From the french word "coterie" meaning "a group of people with a common interest".
- The artist was part of a coterie of like-minded individuals who met regularly to discuss and critique each other's work.
- The businessman was able to succeed because he had the support of a powerful coterie.
- The politician was known for surrounding himself with a coterie of loyal advisors.
- The author was part of a literary coterie that included some of the most famous writers of his time.
- The new student felt left out because she couldn't find a coterie of friends with similar interests.