- The first leaf or leaves produced by a plant embryo.
- A leaf that is a characteristic of the seedling of a higher plant, serving to store food.
From the greek word kotyledon, meaning 'cup-shaped', in reference to the shape of the embryonic leaves in plants.
- The cotyledons of a tomato plant are the first leaves to emerge.
- The young seedling was sustained by the nutrient-rich cotyledons.
- The size and shape of the cotyledons can vary greatly depending on the species of plant.
- The botanist studied the development of the cotyledons in various plants.
- The mature plant grew from the cotyledons, which eventually withered away.