Contrary to what one would expect or what intuition would suggest.
Counter- + intuitive.
- The counterintuitive solution to the problem took everyone by surprise.
- It's counterintuitive to think that less water would lead to more hydration.
- The counterintuitive findings of the study challenged previous assumptions.
- It may seem counterintuitive, but sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to stop thinking about it.
- It's counterintuitive, but the best way to reduce your stress is to exercise more.