Polite, well-mannered, and respectful in behavior or speech.
The word "courteous" comes from the old french word "corteis" which means "polite" or "well-bred". it was first used in the 14th century to describe someone who was well-mannered and polite.
- He was always very courteous to his colleagues and customers.
- The courteous manner in which she handled the situation diffused the tension.
- He was raised to be courteous to everyone he met.
- The customer service representative was very courteous and helpful.
- She was courteous enough to hold the door open for me as I was carrying a heavy load.