- A strong enforcement of laws or regulations.
- A severe or strict measure taken to suppress or punish an activity.
The word crackdown comes from the phrase "crack down" and it first appeared in the english language in the 20th century.
- The government announced a crackdown on illegal drug trafficking.
- The police conducted a crackdown on gang activity in the city.
- The company implemented a crackdown on employees who were stealing office supplies.
- The government announced a crackdown on tax evasion.
- The local authorities announced a crackdown on illegal parking.