- A standard or principle used to make a judgment or decision.
- Something used to judge the quality, ability, or performance of something or someone.
Late latin criterium, from greek kritērion, from neuter of kritērios judging, from krinein to separate, judge.
- The judge used the defendant's past criminal record as a criterion for their sentence.
- The company established strict criteria for the selection of new employees.
- Academic performance is often used as a criterion for college admission.
- The product's safety and reliability were important criteria in the company's decision to launch it.
- The coach used the player's speed and agility as criteria for the starting lineup.