- A small bulbous perennial plant with brightly colored flowers, typically purple, pink, or white, that is one of the first to flower in the spring.
- The saffron-coloured spice made from the dried stigmas of the crocus flower.
Late 16th century: via latin from greek krokos "saffron".
- The crocuses were in bloom, signaling the arrival of spring.
- The crocus flowers were picked for their stigmas, which were used to make saffron.
- The crocus bulbs were planted in the fall for early spring blooms.
- The crocus is a popular garden flower and are easy to grow.
- The crocus plants are usually the first flowers to appear in the spring.