A representation of Jesus Christ on the cross, usually made of wood or metal, used as an object of religious devotion.
The word crucifix comes from the latin word "crucifixus" which means "fixed to a cross". it is a combination of the prefix "cruci-" meaning "cross" and the verb "figere" meaning "to fix".
- The cathedral has a large wooden crucifix hanging above the altar.
- My grandmother always wears a small crucifix around her neck.
- The crucifix is a powerful symbol of sacrifice and redemption.
- Many catholic schools have a crucifix in every classroom.
- I was moved by the beauty of the intricate gold crucifix at the museum.